Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Triathlon, Zoo, and Gardening


Here is a pic of us eating Aggie Ice Cream on Memorial Day after the cemetary business was over. Do you think we're related?

So I did the Salem Spring Triathlon last Saturday. It is a sprint distance triathlon; 800 meter swim, 14 mile bike, and 5K run. I ended up placing 18th out of about 70 in my age division. I beat the CEO and R&D guy from work who have both done a lot more triathlons than me. They are older though (45-50 I think).

I borrowed a wetsuit and a bike and I think those were big parts of my success. I would have been a good 20 minutes slower if I went sans wetsuit and rode my heavy mountain bike. Here a link to my results. Just in case the link doesn't work here is a summary:

Swim - 12:07
Transition 1 - 4:01
Bike - 42:01
Transition 2 - 2:19 (this includes a trip to the porta-potty)
Run - 21:26
Total Time: 1:21:56

It was a fun experience. It was only my 2nd triathlon. I think I'm fairly decent at it. I'd like to do more. The other guys at work are doing 2 half Ironman's and a full Ironman this year. I'm definitely not up to the full. I am thinking about doing the half but I would like to get in an Olympic tri first if possible.

After the triathlon on Saturday we went to the Zoo. They have a pregnant elephant but you can't even tell. She weighs 8000 pounds and her baby will be about 200. Anyway here are some pictures from that trip.

We stayed the weekend at Martha's mom's house in Sandy. Sunday I took Dillan to the park to play. Here are some pics from that adventure.

Yesterday I finished planting the garden. Sweet white corn, red potatoes, and some pumpkins. Hopefully all goes well and we have plenty to share. Grandma's garden is so huge, I would never be able to handle the whole thing by myself.

2 comments:

Amber Miskin said...

The ice cream picture is so cute...I love pictures I get with Jon and Caleb!

The Wiser Side said...

Just looking at that ice cream picture I can tell excatly where you are! yum-Aggie ice cream.
Glad someone was able to visit grandma and grandpa's graves-thanks!

My tunes