Monday, August 25, 2008

Jeremy's Running Adventure

So this last Saturday, I decided to try to go for a long run up Ben Lomond. I knew I wasn't going to get to the top, but I thought I'd see how far up I could go in an hour and then turn around and come back. I made it up just over 4 miles to the part where the trail switches over to the west side of the mountain before I turned around. The uphill portion was rather uneventful other than passing a few hikers and a mountain biker. I turned around and started flying down the mountain.

I was feeling pretty good on the way down and was having flashbacks of why I used to love this kinda thing. I am pretty sure I was on a running high. I think I even screamed for joy. A few seconds later, I apparently didn't lift my right foot up high enough to clear a rock in the path and I went down.

As I got up in disbeleif, I realized that I had cut my right hand, my right knee, and I'm pretty sure I had rolled over a pretty sharp rock on my back. I stood up and looked around for my water bottle (I didn't want to be dehydrated). I found it partially opened and was relieved to see that I still had some water and it wasn't muddy.

I noticed as I got up that my shirt was suddenly muddy. I guess all my sweat mixed with the dirt on the trail when I fell. Despite the fall I was still feeling pretty good and continued running down the mountain almost as if nothing had happened.

I passed a bunch more mountain bikers on their way up the mountain and couldn't figure out why they all seemed to look at me funny. When I got to the car I think I found out why. Apparently I had achieved the worst case of nipple burn I have even seen or experienced. I guess I didn't notice it at first because of the fall. I thought that was just where I had grabbed my shirt with my bloddy hand.

I had Martha take some sweet pics so you could all enjoy this experience with me. Check 'em out.


1 comment:

deepdvd said...

oh man, that looks painful. I'd never even heard of nipple burn until I watched an episode of The Office the other day.

So, just so you know, I found your blog from a comment left on my brother's blog about when my brother Phil died.

So you guys are in Logan now? Isn't it great here? I love it.

My tunes