Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Frary Peak Hill Climb

So I ran a super hardcore trail race this past Saturday. It was the Frary Peak Hill Climb. My fried from DML, Jake, told me about it. Unfortunately he couldn't make it because he was leaving on a cruise. Poor baby!

Anyway, for those of you who don't know, Frary Peak (behind the clouds in the pic above) is on Antelope Island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake. They have buffalo and antelope that roam freely out there. Unfortunately I didn't see any of them on the run.

The race was just short of 10K, half up and half down, with an elevation difference of almost 2000 ft between the start/finish and the turn around point.

There were only 6 brave (or stupid) souls who ran the race this year. We did a time-trial-type start where each runner started up the narrow single track a minute after the guy in front of him. I started 5th. By about 1/2 way up I caught the guy who started 2 mins ahead of me, but just before the top, the guy who started after me passed me. I caught him by about half way down and was about to pass but my shoe was untied.

I caught him again just before the bottom and passed the finish line about 30 seconds before him. (meaning he only beat me by 30 seconds). My total time was about 1:08:45 (45 of those minutes were going uphill).

Afterwards we had brats and hamburgers and froze our butts off. It was cold at the beginning of the race, but got even colder and windier afterwards.

1 comment:

William And Kylie Mobley said...

So do you think you would have run faster if there had been a buffalo chasing you? :-)
Haven't talked to you in forever - hope all is well. Next time Will and I are in Ogden we'll have to do lunch again.

My tunes